The student news site of Grand Junction High School

The Orange and Black Newspaper

The Orange and Black Newspaper

The Orange and Black Newspaper

UPDATE: New GJHS building continues to grow

The new 265,000 square foot high school keeps on expanding
Pictured+above+is+the+new+main+gym+filled+with+teachers+and+interested+community+members+observing+the+construction.+
Pictured above is the new main gym filled with teachers and interested community members observing the construction.

The completion of the new GJHS building is widely anticipated, as it will be a huge amelioration in comparison to the current one.

The new 265,000 sq. foot high school, scheduled to be ready for students and staff by next school year, will accommodate approximately 1,600 students, similar to the current building, and will feature a 1,500-seat auditorium, new sports fields, a gym that can seat approximately 1,700 people, a spacious commons area, and more. The building was designed with the goal of creating a unique sense of place, one that will enhance the learning environment of students and staff. 

“There’s a lot of different ways to approach the design of a new building, but in this particular case, we wanted it to be of Grand Junction, of this place,” said Blythe Group Director of Architecture Peter Icenogle.

With the help of architects who help design schools all over the country, staff, students, and designers of this new building have a good understanding of what works in accommodating community needs, and what doesn’t. One big change is that the whole school will be just one building, diminishing any safety concerns regarding the many unlocked entrance points of our current campus. Other additions, like the commons area or hub space also provide an open, modern space for students to collaborate. 

“The commons area is kind of like the current one between the library and the cafeteria, but way bigger. When you walk in the front door, there’s a high section and a low section, and lots of furniture and technology to be used, “ said Icenogle. 

Student anticipation is growing exponentially as they learn more and more about the design of their future school. 

“It’s a new building, this one is really really old, you know? It’s exciting with all the new technology and stuff,” said GJHS Sophomore Sergio Rasconn.

A common complaint among community members, the current building is extremely worn down, and has a reputation for being out of date. Having opened its current location in 1956, Grand Junction High school is quite literally falling apart. Cracks cover the walls, classrooms have been flooded, floors are uneven, and mice and cockroaches have happily made it their home. However, staff members are hoping the new building will give it a revitalized image for students, staff, and the wider community. 

“A lot of kids right now walk through the hallways and think ‘man this is an old school,’ so I think the fact that it’s brand new will have an effect on your mindset, on how to learn and how to treat your education. I think it will really help our community also,” said GJHS College and Career Advisor Jilleeann Warinner. 

Until the school’s grand opening in August of 2024, counselors, staff, and district board members will continue to finalize interior plans, sort out scheduling, and offer tours of the construction site.

A photo of the in progress auditorium in the new building, that is planned to be able to seat 1,500 people.

View Comments (1)