The student news site of Grand Junction High School

The Orange and Black Newspaper

The Orange and Black Newspaper

The Orange and Black Newspaper

GJHS hires new girls basketball coach

Mary Doane will start new girls basketball memories
Sydni Brandon coached the Grand Junction High School girls basketball team for two seasons. She is being replaced by 12-year Central High School coach Mary Doane, who will also teach business classes at GJHS.

Grand Junction’s new girls basketball coach is Mary Doane.

Basketball students are excited about next year with Doane as their coach. She will also teach business classes at GJHS.

“She seems very optimistic and very positive…very supportive in helping us grow,” said Maycie Child, who will be a senior next year at GJHS.

“She is very passionate about student athletes, and wants to build up the program,” said GJHS athletic director Steve Woytek.

Doane comes to Grand Junction after working at Central High School as their coach for 12 years. She was previously an assistant women’s basketball coach at Colorado Mesa University.

“We felt that she was going to be a part of everything Tiger nation,” Woytek said. “She has experience as a winning coach. She has veteran knowledge of the game, and she has the excitement to coach basketball.”

Doane’s Central team reached the final eight in the 2021 state playoffs. Then her team won 20 games the following season. Doane also coached at Durango High School for six years.

“I’m excited for the team to keep growing and break more team records,” said Child.

Doane will replace coach Sydni Brandon, who coached the team for two years at Grand Junction High School. Brandon’s record as a coach was 6 wins to 40 losses.