The Orange and Black Newspaper

Why We Don’t Use Our Lockers

Back to Article
Back to Article

Why We Don’t Use Our Lockers

Sheldon Peterson

Sheldon Peterson

Sheldon Peterson

It’s stereotypical to see lockers in schools, but in today’s age, lockers are outdated and underused. Should we even have them? It’s no secret that many don’t use their lockers, nearly the entire school doesn’t use them, and they have their reasons.

In a survey taken between 60 kids ranging from freshman to senior, the underclassmen are leading the pack with 17% of them actively using their lockers. With no cars to store their items in, lockers are useful. Although they are most useful to the underclassmen even they don’t fancy them.

Freshman such as Zach Bishop can be seen calling the lockers “Outdated” and “aged”. The lockers according to Issac Dennis, a freshmen, are used for “clutter” and the occasional place for artwork.

Seniors and juniors view lockers differently than underclassmen. Seniors such as James Rasmussen call them “pointless” and others see them as a “waste of districts money” according to Luke Williams also a senior. With upperclassmen having cars to store their extra items in, it renders lockers pointless. In fact so pointless that 0% of all upperclassmen surveyed use their lockers.

“Students should be able to pick which locker they get” says Luke Williams, senior, said. This would make lockers more of a convenience for students. According to Sophia Gazzillo a freshma she uses her locker once a day maybe two to three days a week.

If the schools were to get rid of the lockers students have ideas of what to replace them with.

“We could replace the lockers with new walls and expand the classrooms,” James Rasmussen, senior said.

Senior Beau Thornton had the idea to “put artwork up” to liven the atmosphere of the school. There are 1,500 lockers in our school and lockers go for a price of $40, selling them alone can raise around $65,000.