Rising Above the Stigma

With the recent tragedies that have hit GJHS over the past year, many students are left wondering what they can do to help out with the topics of suicide and mental health. Some have turned to grief groups or counseling, putting up posters or spreading the word on social media, but the RISE students at GJHS have turned to putting together a walk for help.

“We wanted to start this suicide prevention walk to bring the community together. After everything that has happened this year, we wanted to help people make a change against suicide,” Luis Gayton, junior, said.

The goal of the walk is to bring together the community of the Grand Valley in order to showcase that no one is ever alone. The idea of the walk started when the RISE students got together and wanted to make a prominent change through our school by donating to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.

“Our goal is to raise 5,000 dollars, as all of the money will go to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, and so far we have 100 people participating,” Gayton said.

Those who choose to participate in the walk can have the option of donating money, walking, or helping out at a booth set up along the walk pathway. Each person who signs up also has the option of stating what their personal connection is to suicide, as the students will be handing out necklaces with different beads, each representing a connection.

“We saw other walks using beads, but we wanted something different so our beads will glow in the dark at night. Each color represents a different connection, such as, purple means a family member died from suicide. We will also have a ring of candles set up at the end of the walk which represent that there is always a light at the end of the tunnel,” Gayton said.

The RISE walk will take place on April 22nd at the CMU track from 6:30-8:30. You can pre-register online at riseabovethesilence.weebly.com or you can register on April 22nd at 5:30 at CMU.