Clubs Galore

In the morning when a student hears the announcements, there are some about joining new clubs here at GJHS. Clubs are organizations that meet outside of school hours, but they keep you involved with your school.

Some of the clubs that we are privileged to have here are French, Spanish, and German clubs; ALT, Book Club, GSA, Mock Trial, and many more. If you are interested in joining these clubs go to the school website, click on departments, and scroll down to clubs and activities, find the club that best fits you, and contact the teacher that is in charge of it.

Chess club is newer to GJHS, started by student Tommy Mahre, junior. Clubs are not only started by teachers, students could be inspired to do other extracurricular activities and convince others to join them.

“Clubs are a way to make new friends and have fun doing what you do. Kids have a great time laughing together and competing if it’s a club that you play a sport in,” Mr. Fox, bowling team director, said.

At GJHS we have many opportunities for students to get involved in outside of school. But we don’t have as many as some other high schools in the district. Central has a more organized structure for their extracurricular activities. Budgeting hard to divide between high schools in our district, which doesn’t allow every high school to receive the same opportunities as everyone else. But even with that disadvantage, that allows our clubs here to receive more individuals participating in them. Most meetings are once a week, or once a month. Listen to announcements in the mornings to see when clubs start, or when you can join. There are also flyers constantly hanging up in the halls with basic information that you need to know. Then you can progress until you are part of the club permanently. Our clubs here at GJHS allow students to receive more education, leadership skills, or knowledge for their futures.