The student news site of Grand Junction High School

The Orange and Black Newspaper

The Orange and Black Newspaper

The Orange and Black Newspaper

GJHS athletes shine at state track

Tigers take 21st at 4A state meet to end season
Senior Albert Booth runs the 4×800 relay before state, to get the qualifying time. Booth teamed up with senior Tycen LeFebre, junior Bryce Flanagan and junior Connor Kinser to finish 11th at the state meet held May 14-16.

Grand Junction High School had a successful Class 4A State Track and Field meet with nine top 10 finishers and 14 total qualifiers.

“We went through a lot of lows this track season so we just tried to keep everyone positive,” said GJHS junior Mason Anderson.

The girls took 10th overall as a team and the boys took 21st overall. The State Track meet was held Thursday through Saturday, May 14-16, at Jeffco Stadium in Lakewood, Colorado. The individual competitors for GJHS were:

• Senior Atahlia Mills qualified in the 100 hurdles, triple jump and long jump. She finished 4th in the 100, 4th in the triple jump and 5th in long jump.
  • Sophomore Hadyn Bunnell qualified in the shot put and discus. She finished 3rd in the discus and 9th in shot put.
  • Freshman Mayzie Jones qualified in the 300 hurdles and finished 9th. 
  • The GJ girls 4×100 relay of Mills, Jones, senior Katelehn Abbath and senior Olivia Candland placed fourth.
  • The GJ girls 4×200 relay of Jones, Abbath, Candland and sophomore Linzee Sadler finished 12th place
  • Junior Mason Anderson qualified in the 100 and 200 meters and long jump. He placed 3rd in the 100 and 12th in long jump.
  • Junior Mason Znamenacek qualified in the 110 and 300 hurdles. He placed 7th in the 110 and 9th in the 300.
  • Senior Evan Pipkin qualified in the 300 hurdles and triple jump. He placed 5th in triple jump and 14th in the 300.
  • Freshman Issac Baca qualified in the discus and placed 14th.
  • The GJ boys 4×800 relay of senior Tycen LeFebre, junior Bryce Flanagan, senior Albert Booth and junior Connor Kinser placed 11th at state.