The student news site of Grand Junction High School

The Orange and Black Newspaper

The Orange and Black Newspaper

The Orange and Black Newspaper

Upward Bound helps students pursue college

GJHS students are exposed to new opportunities
Upward Bound students enjoying the summer at the University of Wyoming. They got to meet new people, make new friends, and new memories.

Upward Bound, also known as Trio, is a program that helps GJHS students learn what going to college would be like that includes visiting campuses.

Students that are in Upward Bound get to do fun activities with other students and even stay inside college dorms. Upward Bound is completely free for students who struggle financially.

“People should join Upward Bound because it provides a lot of resources, especially for those students [who] don’t find those resources at home or they don’t have a mentor that can help them through that,” said Upward Bound GJHS advisor Maria Garcia.

Students who join Upward Bound are hoping it will help them in the future. They say it’s a good opportunity to visit and see different colleges.

“I joined Upward Bound because I thought of my future life after high school and I wanted a good career,” said GJHS sophomore Elizabeth Wasnik.

Over the summer, students got to do a lot from team building to learning about college.

“We got to meet people that go to colleges and just overall make impressions on people for colleges,” said GJHS sophomore Neveigha Brantley.

In total, Upward Bound has 30 students involved at a time. That is the maximum number of people they can accept. They have students from Central High School, Grand Junction High School, and even a few 8th graders. 

Students can even get paid for being in the program.

“Our students receive stipends that come in the form of a check…and this is around $25 a month assuming that they are meeting their action plan,” said Garcia.

Upward Bound is a federally funded program that prepares students for college and CMU is in charge of it. To learn more check out the website coloradomesa.edu/upward-bound.