The student news site of Grand Junction High School

The Orange and Black Newspaper

The Orange and Black Newspaper

The Orange and Black Newspaper

Extended summer for GJHS students

The school year now ends on May 21, 2024, to accommodate move to new building
The last day of school was changed due to the construction of the new GJHS building.

Originally, the 2024 school year was set to end for students on May 23. However, the construction of the new building—and deconstruction of the old one—has caused the district to re-evaluate that date in favor of ending the 2023-24 school year on Tuesday, May 21.

“In order to give teachers and staff time to move their things out of the old building, the district decided to have students leave two days earlier and give that time to staff to move,” said GJHS assistant principal Josh Warinner. 

But it’s not just Grand Junction High School expecting this change.

“The Fruita 8/9 building is also closing after this year, so the 8/9, GJHS, Fruita Middle School, and Fruita Monument will all have the student’s last day of school be May 21st so the staff has two extra days to get moved,” said Warinner. “The district made this decision for a few of its schools just a few weeks ago.”

However, the suddenness of this decision may cause some confusion for students. Without many announcements made, not many students have been made aware of this change.

“I had no idea the day changed,” said GJHS junior Kailey Kellerby. “But I’m excited to have two more days of summer.”

However, this will not affect the amount of time students have for finals.

“The only change in regards to the schedule for finals is that now finals will be on the 20th and 21st instead of the 22nd and 23rd, but both days will still be block days. We’ll have even classes on Monday the 20th and odd classes on the 21st,” said Warinner.

With finals now to be expected on Monday and Tuesday, students will have two less days to study, but two more days of summer.