The student news site of Grand Junction High School

The Orange and Black Newspaper

The Orange and Black Newspaper

The Orange and Black Newspaper

GJHS bowling teams bowl it out at state competition

Bowling out and bawling out
All three of GJHS’s bowling teams placed in the top 30 in the state competition.

All four Grand Junction High School bowling teams qualified for and battled it out at state competition. 

GJHS is home to four bowling teams all correlating to the school mascot and school colors. All four teams include the GJHS Tigers team, GJHS White team, GJHS Black team, and the GJHS Orange team.

Josh Warinner, the bowling coach for the GJHS white team and an assistant principal at GJHS, said having all four teams go to state is a great accomplishment and having all four is awesome. 

The highest placing bowling team from GJHS was the GJHS Tigers who placed eleventh at state. Members of the GJHS Tigers include Alex Martinez (junior), River Thornhill (freshman), Kaylie Kellerby (junior), Kyler Kellerby (freshman), Kirsten Kilgore (junior), Liam Dineli (sophomore), and Central High School student, Jack Christman (junior). 

Bradyn Magnuson, a sophomore and a member of the GJHS White bowling team, said he was very grateful for being able to participate in going to state.

The second highest scoring team from GJHS was the GJHS White team who placed 24th in the state. The GJHS Black team placed 25th and the GJHS Orange team placed 28th at state.

“Well I thought it was great. I’m not going to lie, we barely scraped into state,” said Magnuson.

“I enjoy volunteering my time so they can play a lifelong sport they can play after high school,” said Warinner. 

All of the bowling teams made a seven-hour trip to the state competition in Colorado Springs Feb. 17-18, and even got to enjoy a meal at Olive Garden. 

“Overall it felt like a high chance victory royal,” said Magnuson.

Magnuson said he plans to play as much as he can with his friends and family in preparation for next year’s bowling season.