The student news site of Grand Junction High School

The Orange and Black Newspaper

The Orange and Black Newspaper

The Orange and Black Newspaper

The Grand Valley’s first hockey team takes the ice

The Caprock Academy Eagles feature seven GJHS players
GJHS senior Jacob Carmicheal takes the lead.
Submitted Photo

For the first time ever students from all across the valley can participate on an official ice hockey team.

“Grand Valley has never had a high school hockey team before,” said GJHS special education teacher Mike Meyer, who helped organize the team.

Before this team was formed the players that wanted to be on a hockey team would have to travel to Glenwood Springs. Now, for the first time, Grand Junction is home to its very own ice hockey team.

The Caprock Academy team consists of players from Grand Junction, Caprock Academy, Fruita Monument and Central high schools. GJHS has the most players with seven of the 22 total.

“[Our] goal is always to win a championship but in this case with it being our first season just to grow the sport for Grand Junction,” said GJHS senior hockey player Jacob Carmichael.

In the past, players would have to play on a club team or be with the youth program at the former Glacier Ice Arena. The old arena shut down and was revived as River City Sportsplex, where the team now practices and plays home games, located at 2515 Riverside Parkway in Grand Junction.

“Three years ago our ice rink got shut down and our youth program was completely stopped,” said Meyer.

With a current record of 1-1 the Caprock Academy Eagles will be playing at Glenwood Springs on Friday, Dec. 15. Their next home game will be Saturday, Dec. 16, against Steamboat Springs.

The Caprock Academy Eagles getting ready to shred some ice. GJHS senior Jacob Carmicheal takes the lead. (Submitted photo)