The student news site of Grand Junction High School

The Orange and Black Newspaper

The Orange and Black Newspaper

The Orange and Black Newspaper

GJHS boys basketball team undergoes coaching change

Dutch Johnson is the new boys basketball coach for the 2023-2024 season
Serenity Schmidt
Dutch Johnson, current physical education teacher, is GJHS’s new boys basketball coach.

The Grand Junction High School boys basketball team has undergone coaching changes for the upcoming 2023-2024 season.

The new head coach, Dutch Johnson, is also a gym teacher at GJHS. Johnson has taught at the school for 12 years, and this is his 11th season as a sports coach. He hopes to gradually improve the team over the season.

“We’re not looking at a win total. We just want to be better in February than November,” said Johnson.

Five players graduated from last year’s team. There are a number of returning players with experience, including GJHS seniors Brett Woytek, Maddox Dobinski and Declan Lake. Returning GJHS juniors include Will Applegate and Koen Wright. 

It is also the team’s last season in the current GJHS building because the staff and students will move into the new building in August 2024.

“That’s a pretty iconic gym in there, and there’s a lot of history. We want to make it a special season. Off the top of my head, I don’t know when the last game in the gym will be, but it would be nice to go out on a win there,” said Johnson.

Applegate, the team’s center, will be in his second year with the varsity team. He believes that the Tigers will improve and have a good season. 

“It’s going to be a good season,” said Applegate.

GJHS’ 2022-2023 team had 8 wins and 15 losses for a .347 win-loss percentage. Fruita Monument High School had the best record in District 51, going 21-3 for a .875 win-loss percentage. All information is according to the website Maxpreps.com. 

“We’ll have a tough schedule, and the conference is gonna be competitive,” said Johnson.

GJHS is scheduled to host Fruita Monument on Jan. 19 and Central High School on Feb. 16. Both schools serve as athletic rivals to GJHS.

“I think [Johnson] is going to be an amazing coach, and is great for the program,” said Applegate.

The first game of the season is scheduled for Saturday, Dec. 2, against Castle View High School.

Coach Johnson teaches weights class along with team sports and personal fitness and wellness.