The student news site of Grand Junction High School

The Orange and Black Newspaper

The Orange and Black Newspaper

The Orange and Black Newspaper

New GJHS Library To Be “Beautiful and Exciting”

The new GJHS library is very exciting to some
Ramona Ripple
The new library will be located directly above the school’s entrance.

The new Grand Junction High School library is expected to be “beautiful and exciting,” according to school librarian Pamela Middlemas.

The current GJHS library is spacious, but it is soon to be demolished along with the rest of the school. GJHS staff and students will move into a new building constructed right next to the current school in August 2024. It cost roughly $144.5 million and is measured at 250,000 square feet, according to the D51 website. The new three-story building also includes major new facilities like a gym, auditorium and library. 

“I think it’ll be exciting since it’s a new school. New furniture, new everything,” said GJHS junior Deianeira Pottberg.

The current GJHS library was built in 1956 alongside the rest of the building, originally as the cafeteria. The room transitioned into the current library in 1983, according to Middlemas. Over time, the library underwent many changes, including wallpaper designs and computer-dedicated areas. These changes brought new looks to the library.

“I’ll be sad to say goodbye to it, but the new library is beautiful, and I’m excited for us to inhabit the space,” said Middlemas, GJHS librarian of 13 years.

The new GJHS library is expected to be slightly smaller with about as many books as the current space. It will also have technological advancements with a computer classroom right next to it, according to Middlemas.

“Our new library will be across the gym, so I can expect a lot more traffic. Also, the technology should be updated and it will work really well,” said Middlemas.

The current library is “tucked away in a corner of the building,” compared to the location of the new building’s library, Middlemas said. The new library will be visible on the second level from the main entrance and easily accessible for students.