The student news site of Grand Junction High School

The Orange and Black Newspaper

The Orange and Black Newspaper

The Orange and Black Newspaper

GJHS boys golf team starts off season with a bang

The Tiger boys golf team has won multiple tournaments this season
Ky+Korte+%2811%29%2C+Hunter+Simmons+%2810%29%2C+Maddox+Lovato+%2812%29%2C+Jack+Kaul+%2811%29%2C+Steven+Lyman+%2812%29%2C++win+first+place+at+golf+tournament.+
Ky Korte (11), Hunter Simmons (10), Maddox Lovato (12), Jack Kaul (11), Steven Lyman (12), win first place at golf tournament.

The GJHS boys golf team continues to be one of the best in the state this school year. 

Since school started, they’ve played six tournaments, and scored first place on five out of six of said tournaments.

This year’s team has over 20 players, most returning from the previous year. The top 4 players on the team are Ky Korte-Junior, Hunter Simmons-Sophomore, Jack Kaul-Junior, and Maddox Lovato-Senior.  

“I think we’re very strong as a team,” said Korte.

The boys golf team is GJHS’s preeminent sports team, and has been so “for over a decade,” said GJHS teacher and assistant coach Brandon Gregg.

Both players and coaches are hopeful and excited for this year; “We are very hopeful because we have a talented team who has been working very hard over the summer preparing for the season. So, we are excited to have a successful year,” said GJHS head golf coach Tom Lefebre. Just as they have the past two years, this year’s boys golf team is expected to make it to both regionals and state.

In recent weeks, sophomore Hunter Simmons placed third at the Wildcat Invitational. Simmons was only one stroke behind the opposing team’s Jackson Stewart, second place, and only two strokes behind Garrett Exelbert, first place.

“We’re really solid and I think we can make a run at state,” said senior player Steven Lyman, who’s been on the team since his freshman year.