The student news site of Grand Junction High School

The Orange and Black Newspaper

The Orange and Black Newspaper

The Orange and Black Newspaper

GJHS academic team heads to nationals once again

After winning an online tournament the GJHS academic team will be heading to nationals in Atlanta, Georgia
GJHS academic team received a check from Dinosaur Ridge for a college scholarship after the Science Quiz Bowl. The academic team competed in nationals last year and will be competing again this year.

After a year of multiple successes, the Grand Junction High School Academic Team is finally headed back to Nationals.

A couple weeks ago the academic team competed in an online national tournament and won, now they are on the road to more success in Atlanta, Georgia. The academic team will be in Atlanta from May 21 to May 27.

“We go [to Atlanta] Memorial Day weekend. We start traveling literally on the last day of school. The competition will start and we’ll come back on Memorial Day,” said GJHS teacher and academic team coach Coady Shawcroft.

Having won the 2024 Colorado State Championship, the GJHS academic team has now won 21 state competitions.

Going to nationals is a great opportunity for the students on the team, considering it will look great on things like college applications.

“[The tournament is] going to be really fun. It’s a really fun experience for me, especially as a sophomore. I have another two years for me so this will be a really good experience to have,” said GJHS sophomore Neil Scott.

The team has certainly worked hard for their success and their victories have been no easy task.

“They worked their butts off. So if you see them, make sure to celebrate them. It’s hard, but they’re crushing it,” said Shawcroft.

As of now, the academic team is surely to continue their winning streak in the coming years.