The student news site of Grand Junction High School

The Orange and Black Newspaper

The Orange and Black Newspaper

The Orange and Black Newspaper

GJHS spring sports superstars

Mills and Woytek are two top Junction athletes heading into their final season of high school sports
GJHS+senior+Atahlia+Mills+runs+the+100-meter+hurdles+at+track+meet+held+on+March+8+at+Stocker+Stadium.++
Spencer Penkaty
GJHS senior Atahlia Mills runs the 100-meter hurdles at track meet held on March 8 at Stocker Stadium.

Two Junction athletes are preparing to perform for their college scholarships as spring sports are arriving.

Senior track participant Atahlia Mills received a Colorado Mesa University scholarship for track and field for the next school year.

Mills finished the 2023 spring sports season with 11 first-place, six second-place, and only three third-place finishes and making state. Mills took no less than third place in each event, making the podium in 100-meter hurdles, 200-meter, long, and triple jumps at state her junior year.

Mills began track during her sophomore year as a sprinter but improved her skills in every technical aspect of the sport according to GJHS counselor and track coach Dustin Giesenhagen. Mills transferred to GJHS her sophomore year.

“We saw that she had some abilities at the jumps and hurdles. And really, when she figured out those events, that’s where she really shined,” said Giesenhagen.

“Ever since coach Geisenhagen reached out, I’ve felt like my skills have really started showing,” said Mills.

GJHS senior varsity baseball player Brett Woytek received a scholarship to University of Colorado Colorado Springs for baseball. Woytek has been playing varsity baseball since junior year and has helped lead the Junction baseball team to many victories. 

Woytek’s varsity career stats consist of a .387 batting average, 29 hits and 17 runs. Varsity baseball’s record for spring 2023 was 16-9 and Woytek started nearly every game at pitcher and outfield.

“I enjoy every one of my teammates. I enjoy the coaches. It was a joy to play every day,” said Woytek. 

Upcoming events in April include a baseball game on Wednesday, April 3, and another on Monday, April 8. Upcoming varsity track meets occur on Saturday, April 6, and Friday, April 12.

GJHS senior Brett Woytek pitches in a preseason scrimmage. The scrimmage was held March 2 at Suplizio field.