The student news site of Grand Junction High School

The Orange and Black Newspaper

The Orange and Black Newspaper

The Orange and Black Newspaper

To stand for the Pledge or not to stand, that is the question

The Pledge of Allegiance is under more controversy than ever
+A+student+chooses+to+not+stand+for+the+pledge+of+allegiance%2C+while+another+stands.
Alexia Bailey
A student chooses to not stand for the pledge of allegiance, while another stands.

Grand Junction High School students have a long history with the Pledge of Allegiance.
Written in 1892 by Francis Bellamy, the Pledge of Allegiance has become a powerful symbol of the American spirit. In more recent times, the Pledge came under scrutiny based on the messages within.

The Pledge of Allegiance was first created in hopes for different citizens from all different countries to use, but by the 1930s the Pledge was specifically modified to be for the United States. In the 1950s during the Communist Red Scare,  President Dwight D. Eisenhower signed the bill to put “Under God” into the Pledge of Allegiance. 

Grand Junction High School has had a long history with the Pledge of Allegiance. In 2003, the Orange & Black published a controversial photo of two students protesting the “fascist” like Pledge with a Nazi-style salute. This photo enraged teachers, students and other community members with some going as far as throwing the paper in the trash. 

Nowadays, students protest the Pledge on a daily basis, but instead of a salute they just stay seated. Four out of 20 GJHS students interviewed said they don’t stand for the Pledge, but not always always for reasons related to protesting. Some students don’t stand because they say it is simply too much of a hassle. 

“We all have the freedom to make different choices. If there was a reason that a student felt that they did not want to do the Pledge, then that’s their right,” said Mesa Valley School District 51 Superintendent Dr. Brian Hill. 

GJHS Policy states, “If, based on personal convictions or religious beliefs, you do not want to recite the Pledge or salute the flag, we ask that you remain respectfully silent, not interfering with the rights of others to recite the Pledge and salute the flag.”

“As a teacher, an American, and as a former service member, we in this country really value our right to have freedom of speech. And so if you want to do the pledge, I like that kids have the opportunity to,” said GJHS social studies teacher Mark Wilson. 

The most common reasoning for not standing for the Pledge, besides laziness, is religious reasons. Atheist, Agnostic, or Polytheistic students often refuse to stand for the pledge because they feel it violates their religious beliefs. The particular line in the Pledge “Under God” is seen as only focusing on Christian beliefs. Another religious problem with the pledge is that some religions ban worshiping or pledging allegiance to anything but a god or gods. 

“I don’t stand for the pledge because I don’t feel like it is a super big deal if I don’t stand, and it feels really cold when we all do it,” said GJHS senior Hayden Willey. 

The pledge is said over the announcements every morning during third hour or during Academy time. Students who do not wish to participate in the Pledge are expected to be respectfully quiet. 

“I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.”

View Comments (1)