The student news site of Grand Junction High School

The Orange and Black Newspaper

The Orange and Black Newspaper

The Orange and Black Newspaper

New year, new crosswalks for GJHS

New crosswalks to be made along Tiger Avenue and North Fifth Street
The+busiest+two+streets+around+GJHS%2C+Fifth+Street+and+Tiger+Way%2C+are+getting+new+crosswalks+in+order+to+help+with+student%2C+staff+and+visitor+safety.+
Alexia Bailey
The busiest two streets around GJHS, Fifth Street and Tiger Way, are getting new crosswalks in order to help with student, staff and visitor safety.

Tiger Avenue and North Fifth Street are both about to become a little safer for Grand Junction High School students by adding crosswalks.

Some people have been struck by cars when trying to cross these semi-busy streets. 

“We are talking about putting in a push button with flashing lights to let people know that students are crossing,” said GJHS Principal Jory Sorenson. 

Students and staff alike are excited about the positive change for the school. 

“It will be more beneficial to the school. I wish we had them this year,” said GJHS senior Izzy Martinez. 

Although the 800 building will not be used next year, the North Fifth Street crosswalk will still be utilized by some students, staff, and visitors in front of the school. This crosswalk will add more safety for people parking across the street and for students going to the neighboring Sherwood park or the neighboring homes. And because many students cross Tiger Avenue to go to popular fast food restaurants for lunch, the addition of crosswalks will help maintain the safety of the pedestrian students. 

“Tiger way, which is in between us and the mortuary, has around 700 students walking across it in various ways. And a particular student came to me and asked if we could put a crosswalk in,” said Sorenson. 

This change being made by the city and GJHS may seem small compared to the new building, but it is a change that will ensure more safety.

View Comments (1)