The student news site of Grand Junction High School

The Orange and Black Newspaper

The Orange and Black Newspaper

The Orange and Black Newspaper

GJ and Fruita go head-to-head in hoops

D51 basketball rivals play each other on Friday, Jan. 19
Paiten Brown
GJHS junior Edison Dean scores a layup against Grand Valley High School. The Tigers won that game 70-20. Grand Junction High School will play Fruita Monument High School on Friday, Jan. 19, with the girls basketball game starting at 5:30 p.m.

A major rivalry between Grand Junction High School and Fruita Monument High School varsity basketball will occur on Friday, Jan. 19. 

The Tiger girls basketball teams will play at 5:30 p.m. and the boys basketball teams at 7 p.m. This game will take place in the Fruita Monument High School gym. This rivalry has players from both teams motivated to win.

“We’re ready for this weekend. I’m excited, I think it’ll be a good game and fun to watch,” said GJHS sophomore boys basketball player Noah Schmalz.

Since 2020, the Grand Junction and Fruita boys teams are even with each team winning six games in their 12 matchups. This season, Fruita’s boys team is ranked 4th in the state with a record of 14 wins without a loss, and Junction’s team is 10-3. The last time these two teams went head-to-head earlier this season, Fruita won 61-44, but Junction believes that the score will be different this time.

“I think we just need to work as a team and go into it with a winning mindset,” said Schmalz.

If Junction wins this game, it will break Fruita’s 14-game win streak and boost confidence levels for all Junction players.

The Grand Junction girls team enters Friday’s game with a 5-8 record and Fruita is 10-3.

“It’ll bring a lot of happiness. We’ve been struggling since our Palisade game, so winning against Fruita would definitely mean a lot to us, especially because we haven’t won against them in who knows how long,” said GJHS senior girls basketball player Nerea Sills.

Junction will play at home against Durango on Saturday, Jan. 20. Girls varsity plays at noon and boys varsity at 1:30 p.m.

View Comments (1)