The student news site of Grand Junction High School

The Orange and Black Newspaper

The Orange and Black Newspaper

The Orange and Black Newspaper

GJHS W for charity

Tigers beat Wildcats in epic teacher basketball game

The Grand Junction Tigers beat the Fruita Wildcats in a competitive teacher fund-raiser basketball game 46-39. 

Organized by both Fruitas and Junctions student councils the game was held on Nov. 1 at 7p.m.

At half time in the GJHS main gym, there were approximately 207 Fruita students and 240 Junction students. Each student in attendance helped raise funds for the Tiger Boutique and Haberdashery and the House  

“I was really happy with how it turned out and with how many people were there,” said GJHS senior and Student Council co-president Macy McComb.

Sportsmanship was a major theme of the night between the rivals. 

Familiar faces of teachers seen around the GJ building such as most valuable player Dre Ervin, English teacher Ayten Therriault, and math teacher Brandon Gregg entertained the crowd. 

The Tiger team was coached by senior students Nerea Sills, Brett Woytek, Maddox Lovato and Maddox Dobinski. The GJ teachers started fast but things became heated when the Wildcats made it close.

When the final buzzer sounded, GJHS students stormed the court to celebrate the victory on their home court.

View Comments (1)