The student news site of Grand Junction High School

The Orange and Black Newspaper

The Orange and Black Newspaper

The Orange and Black Newspaper

GJHS student is a National Merit Scholarship semifinalist

Alexander Chang is on the road to earn $2,500 to any college
Alexander+Chang+speaking+with+GJHS%E2%80%99+new+principal%2C+Jory+Sorensen%2C+at+the+homecoming+pep+assembly.+
Alexander Chang speaking with GJHS’ new principal, Jory Sorensen, at the homecoming pep assembly.

GJHS senior Alexander Chang has a chance to earn a National Merit Scholarship because of his hard work.

16,000 people are able to win $2,500 for college, according to the College Board Website. Chang is one of the many students to be a semifinalist to hopefully win the college scholarship. Chang is the only one from District 51 to be a semifinalist.

There is no set score that a student has to get to earn national merit recognition. Most years a PSAT score above 1400 is required to be a national merit semifinalist. A perfect score on the PSAT is1520.

Chang said he does not know what college he will be applying to or attending.

Chang said that he did plenty of studying and practicing to get his SAT score when he was a junior.

“Take Algebra 2,” said Chang about preparing for the SAT. “Algebra covers all math you will ever encounter on the SATs.”

Chang is involved in the Academic Team, and his favorite class is German taught by Ralph Wahlers.

“You know what, he is a unicorn in a lot of ways,” said Wahlers, referring to how unique Chang is as a student. “You don’t get kids like Alexander very often… He is very, very motivated.”

Cailan McKim was the last GJHS semifinalist for the National Merit Scholarship in 2022.

View Comments (1)