The student news site of Grand Junction High School

The Orange and Black Newspaper

The Orange and Black Newspaper

The Orange and Black Newspaper

GJHS Health Clinic passes on second vote

District 51 school board finally confirms the installment of a school-based health clinic for GJHS
Spencer Penkaty
Main entrance to new school building.

The District 51 School Board revoted on the previous decision made about the school-based health clinic for Grand Junction High School’s new building on July 12th.

In March 2023, the board voted to deny the installation of a Marillac Health Clinic, due to  legal issues Marillac was facing. The deciding vote was made by board director Will Jones, who has since decided to reopen the topic of a health clinic because “majority of the community is behind a clinic. We have to listen to our community.” 

The idea of a community health clinic located near the school – instead of inside the school – was offered as a way to please both sides of the community and offer health care not only to students, but for anyone who needs it. However, some students feel that it would be difficult to receive permission to visit the clinic if it were off-campus. 

“Streets and separate buildings can absolutely feel like a hard barrier to cross for kids [who are] facing issues like mental health,” said local father Cole Chambers during public comment at the board meeting.

Recent GJHS graduate Johanna LaDuke also pointed out that “it can be hard to walk to the clinic across the street when you know others can see you and know what you are doing.” 

The board ultimately decided to reopen the topic of a health clinic and assigned the task of finding a suitable company to operate the health clinic for mutual satisfaction. The clinic is expected to be open for use in 2024.

The revote on reconsidering the Grand Junction High School-based health clinic passed with all five votes in favor.

View Comments (3)