Tigers beat Glenwood in home opener

GJHS wows Stocker Stadium crowd with OT football victory

Serenity Schmidt

Grand Junction lines up for a kick-off in the home opening game in Stocker Stadium against Glenwood Springs. The Tigers won 21-13 in overtime.

The Tigers astonished the home crowd in Stocker Stadium with a win that had students on the edge of their seats.

Grand Junction High School football beat the Glenwood Springs Demons 21 to 13 in overtime with only seconds to spare. GJHS improved to a 1-1 record for the season.

GJ senior quarterback Isaiah Biocic threw a touchdown pass that led to a two-point conversion to advance the lead to 21-13 in overtime. The Demons had their chance to score and tie the game.

The Tigers held the Demons up with one last chance to score. As the ball went into play the Glenwood quarterback threw to his receiver but the ball was deflected by senior defensive back Gavin Walsh.

Walsh said, “In the end we needed to execute to get the win.”

Walsh said the crowd and student section helped to inspire the Tigers in overtime, giving them confidence to conquer Glenwood.

GJHS next plays at home on Friday, Sept. 9, against cross-town rival Central High School. Kick-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. in Stocker Stadium. The student section theme is “construction.”

The Tigers came alive with fan support during the first home football game. It took an exciting touchdown in overtime for the victory. (Serenity Schmidt)
Students show their support for the GJHS football team dressed in neon. The Tigers were inspired by the fan support on the way to victory. (GJHS Staff)