FBLA students win awards

GJHS members earn spot in national championships for Future Business Leaders of America

GJHS senior Dean Withers, left, and sophomore Taytin Knoblich hold the awards they received at the state FBLA competition.

Some Grand Junction High School students recently competed in a statewide competition for Future Business Leaders of America.

FBLA has been at GJHS for over 30 years. There are currently 14 members and six of those members competed at state on April 18.

GJHS freshman Boots Starr said, “FBLA has improved my resume for colleges. It also has taught me important business skills that are useful.”

Sophomore Taytin Knoblich and senior Dean Withers combined to win third place for web design. They are going to Chicago at the end of June for a national competition. Boots was 10th place for introduction into FBLA. GJHS senior Michelle Vasquez took 6th place for human resources.

GJHS senior Sydney Dunlap is in her first year as a part of FBLA. Her mom, GJHS computer and business teacher Suzanne Dunlap, is the club advisor.

Sydney Dunlap said, “FBLA has created stronger leadership skills, built my confidence, and created bonds between people.”

FBLA is part of Career Technical Education. CTE helps students prepare for postsecondary workforce and readiness. This provides students with academic and technological skills.

“FBLA helps kids learn to be a leader, and formal businesses work,” Suzanne Dunlap said.

FBLA members also do service hours. There are no requirements to join FBLA. They meet during lunch every Monday in Room 104.