Sadie Hawkins dance returns for the first time in 20 years

The Advanced Leadership Team (ALT) at Grand Junction High School hosted the first Sadie Hawkins Dance in about 20 years this past Saturday. Unlike traditional school dances like Homecoming and Prom, Sadie Hawkins gives students the opportunity to hang out in a more casual setting and have fun. 

“It’s not an established dance [at GJHS],” said Thomas Berry, senior at GJHS. Berry was one of many students who attended the experimental dance.

According to Russell Gregory, GJHS math teacher and ALT director, the dance was designed to promote a social atmosphere where students could talk and get to know one another.

“[The Sadie Hawkins Dance] is [ALT’s] way to help kids get to know each other at school,” said Gregory. The dance featured several changes such as the DJ elevated on the upper stairs and a quieter concessions room to promote social interaction.

“It was fun when there were fun people there,” said Berry. Though attendance was relatively low, Berry enjoyed the music, DJ, and decorations at the Sadie Hawkins Dance. 

ALT hopes they can involve other clubs by allowing them to run concessions at future dances. Gregory thinks that many students who attend to help with concessions wouldn’t normally go to a dance. Hopefully, this will boost numbers and involvement at future dances. 

“Two hundred people showed up to the dance on Saturday, and that is actually what I expected,” said Gregory. 

He explained that when it comes to dance attendance, it is reputation that counts. ALT is hopeful that attendance will grow as the Sadie Hawkins Dance becomes more of a GJHS tradition.