The Orange and Black Newspaper

Filed under Sports

Tigers Becoming Cougars and Shockers

The National Letter of Intent signing will forever and always be a tradition at GJHS. GJHS will have two fall athletes signing their National Letter of Intent to play collegiate sports in the National Collegiate Athletic Association.

Derek Shaver, a senior infielder is signing to continue his education and baseball career at Wichita State University in Wichita, Kansas. Breck Smith, a senior infielder is signing to continue her education and softball career at Colorado Christian University in Lakewood, Colorado. These seniors are going to have things that they’re going to miss about GJHS but at the same time they are looking forward to their future in collegiate sports.

“I’m going to miss the coaches and being with my teammates, but I’m looking forward to competing at the division 1 level,” Derek Shaver, a senior baseball player, said.

Wichita State is a top caliber division 1 baseball program, competing in the American Athletic conference alongside Houston, East Carolina, Uconn and many others. Shaver will face top competition once he is competing against these schools and some power 5 conferences. Power 5 conferences are conferences made up of top tier division 1 competition. These conferences include the SEC, ACC, Big 10, Big 12 and the Pac-12.

“I loved the family that GJHS Softball gave me this year. I had so much fun playing with everyone and they were so inclusive and made me feel right at home for the one season that I played,” Breck Smith, a senior softball player, said.”

Colorado Christian is a veteran program to the Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference coming off of a 43-15 2018 season. Smith is going to bring leadership and power to the program.

“I am so ready for the competition college sports bring. It’s hard for us in Junction to push ourselves to get better and college ball is going to bring new challenges.” Breck Smith, senior, said.

As the second Wednesday of November, which is the first day of the National Letter of Intent, signing comes to an end; two tigers stand on the pedestal who will we be representing GJHS at the collegiate level in the NCAA after their graduation in 2019.