Trying Out Trials

GJHS students work towards future careers with mock trial

During high school, kids are often given the opportunity to participate in many of the offered clubs. One club, mock trials, can help kids gain skills that will help them in prospective careers.

Mock trial is an opportunity for kids to become familiar with law oriented jobs, or even become more comfortable with public speaking.

“Many people who want to be attorneys participate in mock trial, which helps with thinking on your feet and speaking in front of people. Personally, I would like to prosecute sexual assaults after law school and maybe enter private practice,” Alexia Thompson, junior, said.

Students who enjoy acting or would like to work on reasoning get involved in the club as well.

Mock trial begins on November 1st every year when each school is given the case used for the season. The case is a real one that has already been tried in Colorado and can be used for the competition. Each team studies the case for the first few months after receiving it. The team is then split into attorneys and witnesses.

Attorneys must build a case to present for prosecution and defense because different rounds in the competition require both. Witnesses must practice their parts and study their character.

The team competes once, towards the end of February at the Mesa County Justice Center, and there are around five rounds in which different perspectives must be taken.

The team works hard to prepare for the competition, practicing twice a week in December and every weekday for two hours in January and February.

Grand Junction High School’s team has been successful.

“We have been to state, and we have won multiple outstanding attorney awards and outstanding witness awards,” Thompson said. These awards are chosen by a scoring panelist.

Thompson, an important contributor to the team, won an outstanding attorney award this year.