Busy Work brings Boredom

Students are forgetting what they have learned due to differing teaching styles

Through our years of schooling, we all have encountered many different kinds of teachers. Some were strict and insistent on giving out homework, while some were more relaxed and you never came across a piece of homework all year. The overall goal of all teachers is to teach us, but most students end up forgetting what they learned after the exam has passed.

Many teachers at GJHS have been here for years, but are still able to teach effectively. Ralph Wahlers, german teacher, wants his students to excel inside and outside of the classroom.

“I hope that my students have learned the knowledge of the subject matter, how to meet deadlines, and attention to detail. I hope that they leave with certain habits that they have created,” Mr. Wahlers said.

What most teachers want us to learn, we often times do not actually end up learning. This may be the fault of the teacher or us students, depending on both our experience in the classroom and the amount of work we put into learning the subject.

“I remember the songs we learned in class, as well as the conversations. [Mr. Wahlers] taught effectively, but he had a routine in his teaching which gets boring easily,” Rowen Skeith, former german student, said.

Younger and newer teachers at GJHS seem to have a different outlook on their teaching style in the classroom. Ashleigh Spence, spanish teacher, was hired two years ago at GJHS and has been ever so passionate about her students.
“I want my students to gain from my class the ability to grow up and know that they can do whatever they want. I also want them to be tolerant of other people and know that you write your own story. I try to be funny, detailed, and in depth in my teaching,” Mrs. Spence said.

The teaching style of Mrs. Spence seems to have paid off as many students are thankful for having the experience of her as their Spanish teacher.

“I want to truly thank [Mrs. Spence] because she cares for each one of her students, for their learning, their weaknesses and strengths, and their feelings. She puts her students first,” Kodi Kirtland, junior said.

Whether a teacher has been a resident of GJHS for quite some time, or just started to make their mark here, the goal of all teachers is to put their students first, and the best way to do that is to listen to what they have to say on how they can improve their teaching.