Wrestlers Dominate Regional Tournament and Qualify 10 for State Tournament

With the same confidence and domination that they have shown throughout the entire season, the #2 ranked GJHS Tiger wrestlers stormed their regional tournament and took home first place as they take the last steps to the state tournament held February 16-19 at the Pepsi Center. It’s been a march towards this event for the wrestlers.

Representing the Tigers is Dawson Collins at 106 pounds.  Collins, a freshman, won a regional title.  Tyren Castonguay, a senior, also won a regional title at 126 pounds.  Dylan Martinez, a junior, captured a title at 132 pounds.   Josiah Rider, a senior, continued his winning ways with a title at 145 pounds.  Junior, Seth Latham, took a title at 170 pounds.

Joining the champions was Angelo Guillen, junior, at 113 pounds.  Guillen finished second.  160 pound sophomore, JT Skalecki, took second as well.  Hunter Tobiasson, sophomore, at 170 pounds, and Shawn Garcia, 220 also took second place.  Talen Valerio, freshman, wrestling at 120 pounds, took fourth.

The ten wrestlers will compete at the Pepsi Center at the state championship.  The Colorado State Wrestling championships feature the best sixteen wrestlers at each of fourteen weight classes in four classifications.  The Tigers are the proud owners of a distinguished state record that isn’t soon to be broken.  The Tigers have won more individual state championships than any other school in Colorado.

The last state champion was Josiah Rider who won a title at 152 pounds last year.

The Tremendous Ten will weigh in at 1:oo pm on Thursday and begin wrestling at 7:15 pm on Thursday. After two days of wrestling, the finals begin at 6:30 pm with a parade of champions.   Those who are not able to attend the tournament can follow the event on Trackwrestling and CHSAA now.  Updates can also be seen here on the website.